Justice Ayokunle Faji of the Federal High Court in Lagos yesterday called for medical reports detailing the health status of four out of the five men charged with illegal firearms importation by the Federal Government.
The judge directed authorities of the prison where the accused persons were remanded to make the medical report available to the court before the next hearing date in the case,which is October 4,
The directive followed the concern raised by the third defendant’s counsel, Mr. Paul Ananaba (SAN), as to the health status of his client.On his part, counsel for the second defendant, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), told the court that he had already formally communicated to the office of the Attorney General of the Federation the intention of his client to enter into a plea bargain with the Federal Government.
Justice Faji adjourned the case till October 4 to await both the response of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami (SAN), to the plea bargain proposal by Jacob’s client and the medical reports on the defendants by the prison.
The defendants in the case are Mahmud Hassan, Oscar Okafor, Donatus Achinulo, Matthew Okoye, said to be at large, and Salihu Danjuma.They were arraigned by the Federal Government on June 14 for allegedly importing 661 pump-action rifles into the country without lawful authority.
In the eight charges pressed against the defendants, the AGF said they brought 661 pump-action rifles into the country from Turkey through the Apapa Port in Lagos, using a 40-feet container, which they falsely claimed contained steel doors.
To facilitate the illegal importation, the accused allegedly forged a number of documents including a bill of lading, a Form M and a Pre-Arrival Assessment Report.
According to the prosecution, in order to evade payment of Customs duty, the accused allegedly forged a bill of lading issued at Istanbul on January 9, 2017, falsely claiming that it was issued at Shanghai, China.
In the forged bill of lading, they allegedly filled “steel door” as the content of the container instead of rifles.
They were also said to have allegedly offered a bribe of N400,000 to an official of the Nigeria Customs Service attached to the Federal Operative Unit to influence the said officer not to conduct a “hundred per cent search on the 40-feet container with number PONU 825914/3.”
The prosecution also alleged that the first accused, Hassan, corruptly gave N1m to government officials at the Apapa Port in order to prevent the search of the container by Customs officials.