The supply ship; Warden aboard which seven seamen were abducted last weekend, after pirates attacked their ship in Equatorial Guinea
The Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Adm. Ibok-Ete Ibas has directed naval commands to ensure that recently arrested vessels are processed and handed over to appropriate prosecuting agencies not later than Dec. 15.
Navy Director of Information, Commodore Suleman Dahun, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.
“Addressing Principal Staff Officers, Flag Officers Commanding and Commanders of autonomous naval commands, Ibas directed these units to work closely with zonal offices of prosecuting agencies and inform the Naval Headquarters and headquarters of such agencies of the handing over process.”
The CNS commended the senior commanders for the efforts being made to ensure that the nation’s maritime environment is safe, recalling the numerous operations and exercises conducted so far to achieve this feat.
He charged the Commanders to ensure that activities of criminals were curtailed and efforts are intensified by the Nigerian Navy to firmly control the maritime environment.
Ibas equally directed the Commanders to ensure that officers and ratings uphold the core values of the Navy which are professionalism, integrity and teamwork.
He also tasked the Commanders to lead by example, emphasize collective ownership of the Service and ensure the sanctity of the Service.
The naval chief said that the Navy was expecting new ships in 2020 and called for proper and positive attitude towards the management of these new assets.
On the operationalisation of the ECOWAS Zone E, Ibas said that the proposed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between Nigeria, Togo, Republic of Benin and Niger Republic would facilitate joint patrols.
The naval chief also emphasied the collective resolve of the Nigerian Navy towards a safer Gulf of Guinea.