After a long wait, the identities of chairmen and members of the boards of agencies under the transport ministry were unveiled at the inauguration of the board in Abuja last week.
Although, the names of the chairmen had been known for almost a month, the identities of the new board members were kept secret until last Tuesday.
Ordinarily, the calibre of individuals on that list should be assuring enough that these agencies will start experiencing positive transformation in the quest to deliver on the President’s promises of transforming the nation’s economy within the context of his seven points agenda.
It is our hope that rather than throw their weight around, the board members, especially the chairmen will have to prove industry stakeholders wrong and that their emergence was not based on other criteria apart form being loyal party men and movers and shakers of their party.
In an industry that is highly technical and desirous of a professionals as either a minister or board chairmen or at worst; board members, the gentlemen and ladies who were inaugurated last week would be regarded as having little or nothing to offer.
Apart from that, the calibre of ‘party’ personalities who have emerged as chairmen of boards of some of these parastatals may offer a serious challenge to the minister.
We will like to see how the minister will handle Chief Tony Anenih of NPA, Dr Bello Mohammed of Nigerian Railway Corporation, Dr Mrs Mariam Ali of the Shippers’ Council and Senator Baba Tela of NIMASA, to mention just a few. He may require more than Time will certainly tell!
CHAIRMAN AND BOARD MEMBERS OF TRANSPORT MINISTRY PARASTATALS
Nigerian Ports Authority
1. Chief Tony Anenih Chairman
2. Arc. Shukurat Lanval Member
3. Afolabi Fashanu Member
4. Austin Cosmos Member
5. Alh. Aminu Babba Dan Agundi Member
6. Kashim I. Imam Member
7. Rep. of Fed. Min. of Transport “
8. MD of Nigerian Ports Authority “
9. 3 Executive Directors of NPA “
Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA)
1. Senator Baba Tela Chairman
2. Chief Mike Ejezie Member
3. R/Admiral Tunde Ogundele Member
4. Engr. Nurudeen Rafindadi Member
5. Rep of Fed Min of Transport “
6. Rep of Fed Min of Labour “
7. Rep of Nigerian Navy “
8. DG of NIMASA “
9. 3 Executive Directors of NIMASA “
Maritime Academy of Nigeria, Oron
1. Dumo Lulu-Briggs Chairman
2. Chief Hon. Francis E. Igwe Member
3. Mrs. Shola Daibo Member
4. Hon. Fynman Wilson Member
5. Rep of Nigerian Navy “
6. Rep of Fed. Min. of Education “
7. Rep of NPA “
8. Rep of Institute of Oceanography and Marine Research
9. Rep of Fed. Min. of Transport Member
Nigeria Shippers Council (NSC)
1. Dr. (Mrs.) Mariam Ali Chairman
2. Mr. Iheanyi Chinasa Member
3. Alh. Amadu PRP Member
4. Chief Ben Mazi Member
5. Mohammed Baba Abubakar Member
6. Barr. Tunde Akinrimisi Member
7. Rep of Fed. Min. of Transport “
8. Rep of NNPC “
9. Rep of NACCIMA “
10. Rep of Manufactures Assoc. of Nigeria Member
National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA), Lokoja
1. HRH A.J.Turner Chairman
2. Abdullahi Halilu Member
3. Rep. of Fed. Min. of Transport
4. Rep of National Planning Commission
5. Rep of Min. of Water Resources
6. Rep of COREN
7. Rep of Surveyors Council of Nigeria
9. Rep of NPA