Swedish Bitters (also known as Swedish Herbs) was created by the Swiss physician, Dr. Phillipus Paracelsus, circa 1541. Swedish Bitters was originally developed as a digestive aid. However, the benefits that were subsequently discovered and realized since its creation, far, far outnumber its original purpose. After 400 years, it is the most popular herbal remedy throughout Europe, found in practically every kitchen cupboard. No other remedy has stood the test of time as Swedish Bitters. It is truly worthy of the name: “The Long Life Elixir”
Usefulness of Swedish Bitters
1. If they are frequently breathed in or sniffed, the base of the scull is moistened or a moistened cloth applied to the head, they dispel pain and dizziness and strengthen the brain and memory.
2. They help weak eyes and take away redness and all pain, even if the eyes are inflamed. They rid them of spots and cataracts, if the corners are moistened in time or a moistened piece of cloth is applied to the closed lids.
3. Pustulas and eczema of all kinds, as scabs in the nose or elsewhere on the body, are healed, if they are often and well moistened.
4. For toothache, a tablespoon of these drops is taken with a little water and kept in the mouth for a little while or the aching tooth is moistened. The pain soon eases and the putrefaction disappears.
5. Blisters on the tongue or other infirmities of the tongue are frequently moistened with the drops and healing soon occurs.
6. If the throat is hot or inflamed, so that food is only swallowed with difficulty, these drops are swallowed slowly, morning, noon and evening and they take away the heat and heal the throat.
7. For stomach cramps, 1 tablespoonful is taken.
Make Your Swedish Bitters at Home
10 gm. Sennaeaves
10 gm. Camphor
10 gm. Angelicaroots
10 gm Zedvoaryroots
10 gm. Manna
10 gm Theriacvenezian
5 gm. Carline Thistle roots
10 gm Rhubarbroots
ALOE – It is used as a laxative. Also for burns, sunburn, wounds and insect bites, tonic for the female reproductive system. Helps expel worms.
MYRRH – Stimulates the production of white blood corpuscles and has a direct anti-microbial effect therefore helping the natural process of defence. Used for mouth infections e.g. ulcers and gingivitis. Also used for boils and wounds, problems of the sinus, pharynx, larynx and respiratory system. It is used in treatment of glandular fever and the common cold and also helps support the digestive system especially with flatulence.
SAFFRON (Sedative) – It relieves flatulence and stimulates the appetite, regulates menstrual flow and uterine haemorrhaging.
SENNA LEAF – It is mainly used in the treatment of constipation.
CAMPHOR – Respiratory stimulant and cardiac tonic. Calms the nerves and is used to counter rheumatism.
RHUBARB ROOT – Used to treat constipation. Its astringent effect cleanses the digestive tract, removing debris, it is also antiseptic.
ZEDOARY- Used for flatulence, colic and debility of the digestive organs.
MANNA – Gentle laxative and tonic.
THERIAC VENEZIAN- It is used as an antidote for venomous bites.
CARLINE THISTLE ROOT – Used to treat bronchitis, prostate problems and rheumatism. It is a diuretic, tonic, stomachic and antibiotic.
ANGELICA ROOT – Used for coughs and colds, pleurisy and bronchitis, influenza and fevers. It also eases intestinal colic and flatulence, and has been used in anorexia nervosa. Helps ease rheumatic inflammations as well as cystitis. It also helps the skin eliminate toxins.
How To make Swedish Bitters
This mixture is put into a wide-necked 2 liter bottle and 1 1/2 liter of 38% to 40% rye or fruit spirit are poured over it. The bottle is left standing in the sun or near the stove for 14 days and shaken daily. The liquid is then strained and poured into small bottles, well stoppered and stored in a cool place. This way it can be left in the bottle until needed. The longer it stands in the bottle, the more effective it becomes! Shake well before use! Alternatively some of the liquid can be strained into a small bottle and used as needed for many years.